Headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada – CTV Television reaches over 1.2 million viewers across north central Alberta.
CFRN TV signed-on at 3:00 pm on October 17th 1954, on channel 3 with 27,400 watts of power. With one live camera presentation from the transmitter room, CFRN-TV became Edmonton’s first, and Alberta’s second TV station. The station was owned by Dr. G. R. A.”Dick” Rice, pioneer Edmonton broadcaster who put the city’s first radio station on the air in 1922.
Being far from the U. S. border, there was no other TV signal available and receiver set sales soared as the station began programming as an affiliate of the CBC.
In May of 1957, CFRN-TV fed the first Alberta network program – the official opening of the Northern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium.
The live network arrived via microwave in 1957 in time for the World Series Baseball.
October 1st 1961, CFRN-TV became an affiliate of the CTV Network via microwave network in hours when the CBC was not using it, and time-delaying programs via videotape.